Hello Everyone!
I believe math history should be incorporated into my teaching because it highlights the importance of understanding how we arrived at today’s mathematics curriculum. One way to incorporate history could be to show students how a mathematical problem was solved in the past and then compare it to how we solve it today. This would allow students to see how mathematics has developed and how new methods have made problem-solving more efficient. However, before reading the article, I was concerned that there may not be enough time to cover historical content while also meeting the curriculum expectations, raising the question, “How important is it to teach math history?”
While reading, one argument that stood out to me was the idea that history can sometimes be “torturous and confusing” rather than enlightening. I somewhat agree with this because historical mathematical methods can be multiple pages long, while modern methods may only take half a page. However, I think this could be addressed by presenting historical methods as a way to show students how mathematics was done in the past, followed by the modern method so they can compare the two. The 10th implementation, plays, also stood out to me because students could reenact historical mathematical milestones or arguments, making the learning experience more interactive and memorable. Additionally, the 12th implementation, outdoor experience activities, made me pause because it connected to our own experience of having classes in the Orchard Garden rather than a typical classroom. I am excited to explore how different forms, shapes, and areas found in nature can be connected to mathematics and provide an experiential learning opportunity beyond typical pen and paper activities.
After reading this piece, I am more open to incorporating math history into my teaching because I learned that there are many interesting and engaging ways to connect history to mathematical content. Previously, I was concerned about not having enough time and worried that students might find the historical aspects boring. However, the different classroom implementation ideas showed me that math history does not have to be a separate lesson or take up a significant amount of class time. Instead, it can be incorporated through interactive activities, discussions, and connections to the curriculum, which I now believe can make mathematics more meaningful and enjoyable for students.
Your connection between the article’s outdoor experiences and our classes in the Orchard Garden caught my attention. It is a good example of how the history of mathematics can move beyond simply learning historical facts and become something students experience through mathematical ideas in their surroundings.
ReplyDelete