Hello Everyone!
After reading about Babylonian algebra, I found it interesting to see how differently mathematical problems were represented compared to how we solve them today. I was especially interested in the terminology they used, such as “ush” for length, “sag” for width or breadth, “asha” for area, “sahar” for volume, and “lagab” for a square. Since I am not familiar with these terms, I found the problems much harder to understand at first. I also found it interesting that unknowns were not represented by symbols such as x or y. Instead, the unknowns were described using words such as length or breadth. This shows how mathematical relationships could be communicated through words before the development of the symbolic algebra we use today.
This made me think about how mathematics does not necessarily need symbols in order to express general ideas or relationships. The Babylonians were still able to identify patterns, solve problems, and generalize mathematical relationships, even though they did not have the same notation that we have today. Their methods are an example of rhetorical algebra because they communicated mathematical relationships using words.
I also think this connects to how students learn algebra today. Students often begin by describing a relationship in words or working with specific examples before learning how to represent it using variables and equations. In this sense, students may go through similar stages of rhetorical and syncopated algebra as they develop their understanding of symbolic algebra.
Overall, I find it inspiring to see how mathematics can be interpreted and communicated in so many different ways. The Babylonian use of base 60, their notation, and their lack of a zero symbol are very different from the decimal system we are used to today. Although their methods can seem more complicated to us, they show that mathematical reasoning and abstraction can exist without the symbolic notation we rely on today.
No comments:
Post a Comment